INQUA Early Career Researcher inter-congress meeting
December 2nd - 6th, 2013, Wollongong University, Australia
INQUA will be holding its inaugural INQUA Early Career Researcher inter-congress meeting December 2nd – 6th, 2013, at Wollongong University, New South Wales, Australia.
Links to registration web site and a document with details of the meeting
The International Union for Quaternary Research (INQUA) is committed to developing the next generation of Quaternary Scientists. The INQUA Executive Committee has approved the inaugural INQUA Early Career Researcher inter-congress meeting to provide an avenue for MSc/PhD candidates, Post-Doctoral Researchers and research-active academics in the early stage of their careers (within 5 years of obtaining their PhD) to attend valuable workshops designed to assist ECRs with career development, to present their science and gain invaluable mentoring from more senior scientists.
One of the primary objectives is to offer workshops in a variety of research-related issues presented by experienced researchers. Potential workshops include:
- Giving oral and poster presentations.
- How to write for publication.
- Various techniques used in Quaternary Research (e.g. field methods, geochronology, geochemistry, various proxy analyses e.g. macrofossils, forams, diatoms, ostracods, charophytes, etc.).
- Grant writing.
The ECR Congress will also provide the opportunity:
- For ECRs to give oral and poster presentations prior to the 2015 INQUA Congress.
- Provide an opportunity for ECRs to publish work (and be involved in the editorial process) in a special issue of Quaternary International specifically aimed at ECRs.
- Ensure that there are senior scientists available for mentoring and to provide guidance.
- Social activities and fieldtrips to encourage networking and foster potential collaboration among ECRs.
Outcomes for ECR delegates
- To provide experience in organising and running a conference e.g. convening sessions, reviewing abstracts, organising meetings and administration tasks associated with running a conference.
- To develop presentation skills and to use this meeting for preparation for the 2015 INQUA Congress (Nagoya, 27 July – 2nd August, 2015) and other international meetings.
- To develop writing and publishing skills.
- To develop grant-writing skills.
- To provide an opportunity to publish in a special issue of Quaternary International (QI) and be involved in the editorial process.
- To be exposed to a variety of methods and techniques used in Quaternary research.
- To increase active involvement in INQUA and its various commissions.
- To develop new research collaborations and networks.
There is a Web Page for registration and updated information will posted here and on the INQUA ECR Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/INQUAECR
Quaternary International ECR Special Issue
As part of the inaugural INQUA Early Career Researcher inter-congress meeting "Quaternary International" has kindly agreed to run a special issue for ECRs. The aim is for the ECRs to either be the primary or single author. The aim is that we will provide editorial advice and guidance during the entire writing progress (a mentoring scheme), then the papers will be submitted to the normal QI review process just after the INQUA ECR meeting in Dec 2013.
If you have a manuscript that is in development and would like to be part of the special issue please contact Dr Craig Sloss (email@example.com) for more information.